Thursday, August 25, 2016

Where did Loki come from?

When we got to the rescue; we where informed that our short list for adoption was under quarantine due to kennel cough. So, we decided to take a look around the ranch; to see if a dog that maybe wasn't listed online was available.

As we met our tour guide a weathered senior woman came up to us with a pop of a step. She put her cordless phone in her pocket, and reached out to shake my hand. She asked great questions about: location, lifestyle, education, employment, ect. I was amazed.

When you tell a shelter worker you are a dog trainer they just shutter. Aren't we all rings thru their head, and so she began to tell us about a Doberman, who had a Separation Anxiety issue, and was zealous. So, they adopted it to another trainer, and she needed it to be returned, when it went after small dogs.

Interesting to meet this beautiful gray coated male that was estimated to 14 ... months. Well anyway came barreling towards us from the opposite end of the multi dog exercise area. Not a foot insyncs. He dive to the gate bounding about.

I answered politely as they fumbled to leash this bobbing bafoon. I wanted a Service Dog. She piped back; if you are a trainer. This dog needs a job, and you need to give him one. Further on she proclaimed; when you have been at this as long as I have. You just know! She nodded her head, and walked away.

The dog dragged all the way to the introduction zone, and had places to be and things to smell. But no. I wanted to see a few more, and the dorkly #doberman was rinsed off to come back later.

The old lady had her turn. Was introduced to a few candidates; to make sure we would be on a little easier path for the ride home. And then it was time for her to meet the chosen one. Immediately he tried to play, amd she ignored him, just like the maternal momma she is. He played and jumped, and romped, and flopped. From side to side, and knocking into everyone. Saw me and came to lay at my feet.

This one wasn't a cute my dog chose me, or I wanted the scared one in the corner. This was a brilliant woman who matched a dog that needed a job, and a person; with the person that needed the support, and a dog. Who would have known he would grow into the strong boy he is today. Assisting me around. Helping me up, and just being their when I need to redirect.

I adopted my dog, and he works for me, and he is cherished, cared for, and maintained. He has flaws we work on, and he has strengths we praise. He is my partner, my Companion, and my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment